Friday, August 28, 2009

And It's Okay...

It came to me this morning...

I am not going to win the mother-of-the year award, I don't spend as much one-on-one time with him as I should...and that's okay.
It sucks that I am working part-time now for our health insurance. I despise having to leave Brody with my sister or mother...but it's okay.
I let him play/eat in dirt, pet dirty mangy neighborhood kitties, fall down stairs, grab knives out the dishwasher before I get to them, play with scissors on occassion, let him draw on himself with markers and paint...and that's okay.
I am not the best OB/GYN nurse on earth, I forget things, I am not as attentive as I should be sometimes to my patients, I get frustrated with physicians...and that's okay.
I am not going to be put in the General Primary Board any time soon, I can hardly keep my head above water when it comes to my calling right now in the Primary...and that's okay.
I only "Ma Ingels" style bottled beets and did freezer corn this year...and that's okay.
There are days when I don't do my hair and make-up and I look like I'm receiving chemotherapy...and that's okay.
I am not in the place right now in my life where I am financially and/or emotionally ready to tackle graduate school...and that's okay.
I have a kitchen sink full of dirty dishes to wash, 3+ loads of laundry to fold, a yard that looks
like my house is in foreclosure, and I'm sitting here blogging...and that's okay.
My project table has about 14 projects going right now and I probably won't get Brody's scrapbook all the way updated by his birthday...but that's okay.
My car hasn't been serviced for 6+ months because I keep forgetting to look out for a coupon...and I HOPE that's okay.
I almost burned my house down yesterday trying to melt my mexistache wax on the stove, there were flames, thankfully my CERT training came in handy...and that's okay.
My big toenails are so messed up, one is halfway ripped off, the other looks like someone took a dremmel tool to it...and that's okay, because I have Angela Ballard's House of Nails.
I am dreaming of Hawaii for our 5th anniversary next year, and the likelihood of us going is unsure...but that's okay.
I haven't done my visiting teaching yet this month...that's sort of okay (I have 3 days to go).
I don't have the money to decorate my house the way I want too...but that's okay.
Blake's dirty freakin gross smelly construction boots are sitting behind the door because I don't want to look at them...and that's okay.
I think, no I know, that there is a large snake living in my front flower bed, and that's not okay, but I'll have to live with it.
I haven't won the powerball...yet...and that's okay.
The shift key and my right side arrow are missing from my laptop because Brody ripped them off one day...and that's okay.
Hunting season has started...(guh...not okay)

A very wise man that I took care of once told me that "Frustrations Result From Unfulfilled Expectations." I have decided that the reason why I have been so upset with myself is that my
expectations are too high. I have a beautiful son who does know about 10 sign language signs, who poops his pants at least twice a day, who loves to give me full on open mouth kisses, eats as much food as I can shovel in him, and walks to me to give me hugs. My husband, without much complaint, is tirelessly working to provide for our family, he is the love of my life...and that's ALL okay.

11 comments:

sarah and jeremy said...

AMEN!!! Seriously, we all think those things, and it IS okay. We do the very best we can and it only makes it easier when we have positve attitudes...which you do! Good job on all your accomplishments so far, you do great! oh, and as for the snake thing, you're on your own. My flowers would suffer a long, dry death before I went out and weeded them:)

The White's said...

The best part was.. what you said about the yard and the dishes and the clothes. I think what you write is what ALL mothers are thinking.
I told Cameron that i was behind on the clothes and he said "YA", and then i was like but it is really not that big of a deal hu? and he know i was up set so he didn't say anything else.

i love being a mom

Ty and Ber said...

Thank you for the smile that you just put on my face. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has a list like that.

And I think that sometimes my hair looks like Brody's hair in that picture. LOVE IT!

kacie said...

I love you, you are my favorite person ever!!! You spoke my mind, if you ever want a break you can bring Brody to my house to run a muck, he would fit it just perfectly!!! Hope to see you soon.

Fox said...

Hey good thing I told you to blog. It made me feel better. My daughter cries a lot and only sleeps 6 hours out of 24... and thats okay (or maybe not) but I'll get the hang of it and life will go on. I really do love her... and that is great. Thanks for letting me use your stroller it was perfect.

Westergard Family said...

I agree with you about the expectations, why else would we stress out about anything if it weren't for the fact we are trying to tackle mountains every day. I loved the list and am going to write "it's okay" in dry erase marker on my mirror it will help me remember when it gets crazy. you are doing great by the way!

Jake and Alayna said...

Thank you sooo much for posting that! I really needed it! I love Becky's idea of writing "it's okay" on the mirror, I think I'll do that too! And you only have three loads of laundry to fold, you're doing great! As for the snake, seriously I'll come over and get rid of it for you if you want, as long as it's not too big . . . and doesn't have rattles!

The Ballard's said...

How refreshing. It is okay. In fact, when you learn to be okay with it then it really is the best life ever!! I need to do my lesson & the laundry but I am going to take a nap and then it will all be okay!

HDVB said...

Wow, ditto with what everyone else said - I totally needed that, you're awesome.

Jenny said...

I love it! Thanks for your great post! Makes me double think on things in life. I loved it! Thanks Jessica!

Stephanie said...

So true! By the way, how can you still be so photogenic even when you're pulling faces...not fair.