Thursday, October 28, 2010

Circling the Toilet Bowl


Do you ever have those days, you know, one of THOSE days?!?

It all starts with a mirage of things you must accomplish during the day:

1. Go to store to buy caramel, apples, sticks.
2. Assemble said items for friend Halloween party dessert assignment.
3. Attend meeting at hospital.
4. Make dinner.


Not a lot to handle, and I'm sure there are many of my fellow mommies out there who could do these tasks in a matter of 47 minutes. Instead:
  • Before going to store, clean up broken up shards of glass and sop up perfume from 1/2 full Clinique Happy bottle that my son decided to pick up and throw off the vanity because I wouldn't let him brush his teeth for the 7th time this morning. Redo make-up from breaking into tears.

  • Insert stiff-as-a-board son into his carseat because he wants to play with the cat instead of getting in the car. (Mind you, it's 20 degrees outside) Undo straps of carseat as far as possible, wrestle son into seat, and proceed to winch him down into a sitting position, tie-down style.

  • Manage to destroy and dirty my friends kitchen as we commence and put together the caramel apples while our children destroy the other parts of her house. (Side note again: She's 20 weeks pregnant, and just started feeling better, there's nothing that says, "your my best friend" like demolishing your brand new house) Oh, and skipping out early and leaving her with a mess to clean up because you have to get to your meeting at the hospital.

  • While trying to make dinner, Brody is outside with Blake. I am cleaning the bathroom when I hear, "Brody's coming inside because he chose to get wet." LOVE IT!

  • While son is in bathtub, newly cleaned bath tub, proceeds to poop. Just as we were finishing. How much bleach is "too much"?

  • Son falls asleep in his high chair during dinner because of course, has not taken a nap. I put him in his crib, wakes up, screams, I bring him back out. He then tries to take a bite of my food, which is too spicy, so he spits it out all over the floor and goes for my water, which then gets knocked over and spills forming a Niagra falls-esque cascade down my dining room table.

At this point, I had lost it. I screamed, loudly. Blake put me in time-out. I calmed down. Took a shower. I feel better.


The moral of the story (because there always has to be): If I would've erased #1 on my "to accomplish" list and replaced it with, "Be the best mommy you can be today," I do not believe any of the above would've happened.

6 comments:

Alyson said...

I can not wait to see your new pictures! You look so fetchin' skinny in the above. I miss Brodster. He is such a pill! Gosh I am going to eat his face off. As long as you are not 20 weeks pregers we will be okay.

Shane and Geana said...

You loook BEAUTIFUL in that picutre. Also, days like that happen way too much, don't they? I love the moral of the story, and I need that at the top of my list more often, thanks.

Ty and Ber said...

Oh Jess, I love it. Can I just say that this made my day! As I was reading this my 2 girls were downstairs screaming at each other and I was thinking to myself how awesome today was going to be. Glad that other people have crazy days like me too. (Don't get me wrong, I am not delighting in your misfortune).
Your moral is a great thought for all of us to remember.

HDVB said...

...oh yes...one of THOSE days...you handled it like a PRO!

Jake and Alayna said...

Jess, I love you! I bet 80% of my days go like that:) I love that picture, so cute!

Chamberlains said...

Is it crazy that I love reading your blog just for these moments? You're so honest and it makes me feel better that we're all trying and we all fail sometimes. But each day is another chance. (And hopefully the kids don't remember anthing until we figure some of it out!!!)