Monday, June 1, 2009

Great Grandpa...No Grandpa Great




This morning Blake's Grandpa passed away. Grandpa was a salt-of-the-earth guy. He loved to tell you stories, and Grandma was greatful for someone else to be there to listen to his stories. He was sure the mafia was running everything. He would tell me the story of Tilly Moyes eating baked beans until she was sick so many times I could recite it to you now. Like the other members of the family, I think I heard about 15 versions of how he lost his finger, my favorite being that after it was removed the dog picked it up and ran around the yard chewing on it. He thought Brody was just the most beautiful baby, and up until a week ago Sunday he was still calling Brody "little Joe." When Grandpa wanted you to do something he would say, "will you do me a favor," and when you asked him what he was he would say, "well yes, or no" and he wouldn't tell you what it was exactly that he wanted you to do until you would commit to it. We had asked him multiple times to buy the property next to us that he and Grandma owned and when we asked him what he was willing to sell it for he would say, "just make me an offer." I swear, no matter what offer we told him he said it wasn't enough. Last summer when I was pregnant he would stop by almost every single day to check on me if the car was in the driveway. Most of the time it was between 7-9 a.m. when he was either going to, or coming home from Exxon where he was getting a drink with George and his buddies. I loved how when we were dating he would lock the cats up in the shed everynight, I thought it was the strangest thing. He always would say, "so how your folks doing," and wanted to know about my family. I will miss seeing him sitting in his chair and driving by and seeing him moving the hoses 9 times a day around the yard. I am more sad that Brody and my future children won't get to remember him in this life.

7 comments:

Shane and Geana said...

I am sorry for your loss. My children will surely miss him at church and have been missing him for a while now. Good luck with the singing/piano.

Ty and Ber said...

I'm sorry to hear about Blake's grandpa. He sounds like he was a great guy.
Grandpas tell the greatest stories. You will have to be sure to share those with Brody when he grows up.

Jenny said...

So sorry to hear about Blake's grandpa. He sounds like a really great guy!

Westergard Family said...

Don't forget that Karl Malone and RC Willey are part of the mafia. :) Those are my (gary) Tilly Moyes stories.

Janetta said...

We'll have to visit Jessica, I haven't heard the Tillie Moyes story. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Jake and Alayna said...

He was such a great guy! We're sure gonna miss him! You did an amazing job at the funeral. Thanks so much for coming over the other night, sure appreciate you. Still have your cuff, sorry I haven't gotten it back to you yet:)

Meg said...

Death is so hard, but I am glad you have so many fun memories to remember him by.

By the way I haven't seen Brody since he was newborn he is such a stud!