Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Don't Watch Oprah


I somewhat got back a glimpse today of what I felt like before Brody. Alyson Hall watched Brody so that I could go get my hair cut and colored. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO needing a break from him. He slept horribly last night, Blake and I both were really frustrated. He had been fussy when I took him to my Dr.'s appointment this morning. He was just driving me crazy, so needless to say, I wasn't really sad to drop him off. I was even resenting having to go pick him up. I did though and came home, of course he was crying, he was hungry and wanting to be fed. I sat on the bed, grabbed the boppy and started to feed him. I know I was prompted to turn to Oprah for some reason (I don't watch Oprah...ever...). Her show today was on miracle children who had surpassed the odds and are thriving now. The story though that I caught was on baby Elliot. I didn't even catch what was wrong with him exactly except that he had a whole in his heart and I think a collapsed lung. Anyway, this young couple, who looked closer to my age than Blake knew that there son was going to die shortly after giving birth to him. This couple knew that he wasn't going to be around for very long. So every day at 4:59 p.m. they celebrated his birthday. Everyday they took a picture with him and had in the picture how many days he had been alive. This mother lovingly held her baby every chance she could because she knew that it wouldn't be long before she wouldn't be able to hold him. She even took him to a NICU reunion to show him off and how proud she was that he had lived so long. The piece on Oprah showed every milestone he made, when he turned one month, two months, three months and each was celebration that he had lived so long. Baby Elliot died on day 99. At his funeral (and of course they show the little tiny casket) they released 99 balloons to celebrate each day that he was alive. The mom said that she didn't have time to feel sad because she wanted to be happy with him and enjoy the limited time she had.
The moral of the story is...stop resenting your child and appreciate the fact that you have a healthy baby who does cry at 3:00 a.m., makes messes, and yells and screams if you don't hold him.

2 comments:

Mike Ballard said...

Good point. You are not alone. I have Tuesdays & Wednesdays off. You can come up and sit around and visit. You are lucky that he is healthy even if he is not happy.

Jake and Alayna said...

Oh,that makes me cry! How often do we get our blinders on and forget about what's really important and all we have to be grateful for!? I love Carrie Underwood's song, So Small because it emphasizes this point. Thanks for the reminder. You're awesome! I'm glad you were able to take some time for you today, that's important too. Mom's can't get water from an empty well.