Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pick Another Checkout Lane Honey

Another thing that five years ago I never thought I would do-clip coupons. I haven't blogged about it until now because when I read people blogging about the great deals they got couponing I think what weinies they are for posting their good deals. Now I'm one of them. It first started as something I was doing for fun around Christmas time, and now doing Dave Ramsey and tightening our grocery budget I am obsessed. I allow myself to spend $50 a week on groceries/living items for a grand total of $200 a month. I will spend that $50 or so regardless of whether we NEED any groceries that week. If there is a good deal and sale I will still spend the money.

I subscribe and get 5 newspapers on Sundays ($18.99 a month) so that I can stockpile my ads and then I cut each coupon out that I think I might use. Everything from Ziploc bags, juice, frozen pizza, spices, diapers, papertowels, bandaids, etc... I have a recipe file box that I alphbetically put my coupons in. I then log onto pinchingyourpennies.com. Some magical mystical person posts Albertsons, Smiths, and Associated Foods ads for the week. It is broken down so that you can see what the store has on sale, if it's a good buy or not, and then what coupon to combine with it to save even more. Everyone has there own technique and way that works for them-this works for me. Frankly, this week, I raped Albertsons. There was a double coupon insert in Sundays paper for Albertsons where they would match, up to $1.00 any manufacturers coupon. So on Monday and Tuesday I drove to both local Albertsons stores. McCormick Grill Mates: Regular Price $2.99, Sale Price 2 for $4, Price After Coupons: Free! Rhodes Frozen Rolls Regular Price $3.99, Sale Price $2.69, Price after Coupons: $.69. Colgate Total Advanced Whitening Toothpaste Regular Price $4.99, Sale Price $2.49, Price after Coupons: $.49. Activia Yogurt Regular Price $3.19, Sale Price 2 for $5, Price After Coupons: $.50. So this week in total I spent $31.83 on groceries. That included the staples needed, bread, milk and cheese. Kudos to me. This is my receipt after one Albertsons purchase $.12. The worse part is the eye rolling and umph grunts I get from the checkers.

7 comments:

sarah and jeremy said...

Okay, so this is funny because I've been wondering if it's worth all the clipping, and saving, and sorting through the papers but you totally talked me into it...

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

That is awesome you got that many good deals I need to start doing that!

Garrett and Stefanie said...

Jessica,
I'm so glad you posted this because I've been trying to get into coupons, but never knew about that website!! So thanks a bunch!
-Stefanie

HDVB said...

oh my word. Daniel and I both are speechless, I just spent $70, yes seventy freaking dollars on groceries. And the lady at the checkout stand even ASKED for my coupons, and I told her "I'm not a coupon clipper because I always forget them at home, or lose them, or something" - yeah, I AM SUCH A RETARD! After reading that post, there is NO EXCUSE. I'm starting the coupon dealio - TODAY. Love you, han

Les said...

Wow wow wow!! I need to take some lessons from you, my cousin! You've inspired me. So not lame to blog about!

kacie said...

Good Job!! I don't have patience for stuff like that. Someday maybe. Your child is adorable!!!! Keep up the good work.

Stauffer Family said...

Jessica I actually started doing pinching your pennies with the 5 sunday papers and all 2 weeks ago, just to see what happens. You've officially made me feel better about paying for the paper.