Monday, December 14, 2009

Mama Called the Doctor and the Doctor Said...

"I think you better bring your child in." It all started innocently, just a runny nose, and a slight cough. I say to myself, "he's getting better, tomorrow he will be even better." A couple of days go by, he's almost himself and then...then...it all went downhill. Now he's running a fever, runny nose all the time, lethargic, irritable, pale, clammy, diarrhea, inconsistently consistent cough, sleeping for no more than 2-3 hours at a time. Finally, I called. Bring him in. After further examination the verdict came:"Congratulations, I am 90% sure your child has H1N1, he has a double ear infection and Rotovirus. If you would've brought him in when he initially got sick we could've done Tamiflu and it probably wouldn't have turned into such a severe case. Now we get to hospitalize him." My gut wrenches, my heart is suddenly heavy, I'm now nauseated. I shout, "No! We're to poor to hospitalize our son. It's either we celebrate Christmas or hospitalize him." The doctor concedes. 10 days of antibiotics and other prescriptions, follow up in 3 days. The next day was my birthday, guess what...didn't celebrate it. Instead took care of my little guy who had a temperature max of 105.8 degrees and would sweat and cough and look up at me like "help me mama, why do I feel this way!?!" After 3-4 days of antibiotics and alternating Tylenol, Ibruprofen, Benadryl, Chestal, Zarbee's, Vicks, Florastor, etc...we got him better. It's now been 6 days since any fevers. We're done with antibiotics. We survived.

Then we finally went out to celebrate my birthday. Benihana's (because I had a gift card from work).



Now we're back to being normal Brody Joseph Hall. Eatin' the chicken and tater tots, and doing his piano practice.

7 comments:

The White's said...

Wow, I had no idea he was that bad. Im glad he is doing better and that you got to have a birthday! thank you for the help with the 5 gal and 55 gals.
Addy

The Curtis Family said...

How scary! That is a HIGH temp! I am glad that he is feeling better. You are such a good mommy.

Ty and Ber said...

Wow. What a cocktail of illnesses all at once. I'm glad that he is feeling better.
Happy Birthday. Glad that you got to still celebrate it even if it was a bit late.

sarah and jeremy said...

Yikes! I'm glad he's better. Britney told me he had been sick. It's definatly no fun for anyone when a baby is sick. Happy birthday too!!

snow family said...

Ooohh... poor baby!! You and Brody! I'm sorry. Nothing harder than sick sick babies. Glad he's feeling better. and... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, BELATED!

Jake and Alayna said...

So sorry little Brody was so sick, poor little guy! So glad he's doing better. Birthdays are totally different once you're a mom, huh? I got puked on two birthdays in a row! At least he's all better for Christmas right? Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!

Chamberlains said...

Seriously sad. I had no idea. I'm so sorry. SO glad he's better! Gift card from work - for what?