I called Blake, got directions to the one and only hospital in Rexburg and drove to the ER. Everyone at Madison Memorial Hospital was very nice. We were the ONLY patient in the ER. Dr. Packer took charge of him. Even before the X-Rays you could feel his clavical separated. After the X-Rays came back the indeed confirmed he does have a fractured clavical and right suprachondular fracture in his elbow. Dr. Packer said it just looked like the bone had been crushed to pieces. He called down the one radiologist and the one pediatrician in the hospital at the time and they all agreed not to touch it. The didn't dare set it in a permanent cast until the swelling went down and until someone who sees more than 2 pediatric broken arms a year could properly treat it. We have a follow-up scheduled for Tuesday with his normal pediatrician and I'm hoping he can just set it and we don't have to go to a specialist. The following is a list of reasons why this sucks:
1. Brody hurts, his little face tenses up and gets full on tears if he forgets and tries to use that arm. He can't roll over or stand up by himself because he is right handed and he attempts to use that arm and then cries in pain.
2. He is RIGHT handed. I doubt he will be after this ordeal. It only happened a day ago but he is already using his left hand really well and eating with it, holding objects, etc...
3. Our insurance. I just switched our health plan to a HealthSave account. So our deductible is $3000. I am going to have to pay, out of pocket, for this entire adventure. I'm sure that those fat cats at Select Health will not give any sort of adjustment for the ER visit, especially because it was at a non-participating hospital.
4. I feel like a terrible mother. I look at him and my heart aches. I want to take the pain away, and it pains me to know that I was partially responsible for the accident. About 2 weeks ago Blake took Brody to Home Depot and dropped him while getting him out of the cart. This resulted in a black eye and a split lip. I gave Blake SUCH a hard time about hurting Brody. I teased him relentlessly that I hadn't caused ONE accident in 15 months and then all of a sudden he isn't being careful and it results in a black eye and split lip. Karma is a bitch.
11 comments:
I saw your sweet little guy when I dropped off his book, poor thing. Things like this just happen, no one is at fault. I am however very sorry to hear about the insurance situation, things like that really really suck sometimes!!
Oh man! Poor little Brody. He looks so sad in that picture. It totally sucks when your kids are hurt. Hopefully things go well at the doctors on Tues.
That is so sad poor little guy I hope he gets better soon!
Im so sorry. I hope he feels better and you too! Don't beat yourself too much.
What a weekend...It is terrible to have hurt kids! He looks soooo sweet in that picture. I like your last comment though,you still have your sense of humor even if things aren't going your way- I love that about you.
I can't believe you were in REXBURG and didn't call me!@! I would've been to that ER in 5 minutes to help with your little sweetheart!!! Poor little guy. (I'm impressed you refrained from the fbomb.)
Oh man, poor little thing. The good thing about boys though, they bounce back faster than girls. He is a tough little thing....and I would've totally dropped the fbomb!
Poor little guy! He is still is sooooo stinkin' cute!
I am soooo sorry! Gary and I are just sick about this. I hope he is doing well and learning how to be naughty with his sling, little kids know how to do that really fast i swear. :) Gary and I were talking about the insurance and you just need to come to grips like we did and repeat this to yourself...."it's like getting a 4-wheeler every year, except no ATV" . okay so it won't make you feel better but maybe it will make you crack a smile. :) we'll be praying for your little family!
So sorry, poor little guy! Don't blame yourself, accidents happen. He's a tough little guy! We'll be praying that everything goes well on Tuesday. Good luck!
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. Hope you don't mind that I used this example to my little one not to jump on beds or couches (she doesn't have to know the exact story!) Now I feel super guilty about you staying home from work and me working. Seriously sorry! Hope he heals quickly without surgery!
Post a Comment