Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Our Second Trip to the Exotic Emergency Room

I took Brody's X-Ray films to work with me on Saturday. Unfortunately, Dr. Church did not have any newborn babies to see but I did corner another pediatrician who I trust and is an excellent patient advocate. She said that the fracture looked really bad, it transected the growth plate and it looked quite crushed and displaced. She recommended that I take him that night to Primary Children's ER to have it looked it. I did not. I was trying to save myself another massive ER bill and figured I would just call down to the Orthopedic clinic on Monday and get into see somebody right away. Monday morning came, 8:00 a.m. is when the office was supposed to open and guess what...closed for the holiday. Blake had elected to not go to Rexburg on the chance that surgery might be performed. After divulging the whole story to the hospital operated I finally convinced her to put me through to the Orthopedic resident on-call. My luck again, he was in the OR. He was quick to call me back though and after again explaining the whole story to him, it was his recommendation that we come to the ER immediately. Great. Another ER bill. May I say though that this was my first experience with Primary Children's and I was so impressed. The doctors were SOOOO caring. So attentive to what I had to say, my concerns, Brody's temperment, it was incredible. Dr. Dave, the ER resident had this tiny frog that would say "ribbit" and light up. He was Brody's favorite. Being a teaching hospital there were 14 physicians who physically saw Brody or consulted on his X-rays yesterday. When a physician came in another physician would say, "This is the mother. She's a nurse." As if THAT was going to make a difference. Ha! Long story short. X-rays were repeated. All 14 physicians gave there opinion and it was determined that surgery will be put off, for now, and Brody was placed into a hard cast.
This was taken right after the cast was put on.

This picture was taken 5 seconds after the above picture when he realized he couldn't move his arm.

Your orthopedic anatomy lesson today: there are three types of suprachondular fractures and Brody has a type II. This means that although the fracture is severe, it is not displaced, or it hadn't moved since the original fracture in Rexburg. I was very grateful. Dr. Lenahan was the orthopedic resident on that day and Blake and I immediately liked him because he is the only doctor I have EVER known to wear full on scrubs with cowboy boots. He was from Texas. (He is the doctor leaving the room in the first picture.) We are going to follow up with Dr. Holmes/Dr. Lenahan on February 10th for some more X-rays, possible surgery, replacement of cast, and/or removal of cast.

On a personal note, I have to say Thank You, Thank You, Thank YOU! So many people have expressed there love and concern for Brody. I think we have had just as many meals brought in for a broken arm as when I gave birth to him. TOO MUCH! The balloons, signs, flowers, and acts of service are amazing. I love you all! Blake's good cousins, the neighbors in Plain City, my family members and of course our ward. Many thanks to you. Blake, Brody and me will never forget the hospitality and love shown towards us.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

That little cutie is very lucky to have you and Blake as parents! Wishing him well.

Brenda Hurd said...

poor thing! I hope he feels better soon - and good luck with the cast thing - i hope he handles it well!

Ty and Ber said...

That is so lousy that he had such a bad break, but dang he looks so cute with that little blue cast. Hopefully he won't have to have surgery. I hope that he does well with the cast, I'm sure he will be bonking you on the head with it soon enough.

I love that one of the doctors wore a cowboy had with his scrubs. I'm sure you can't help but smile when you see him.

HDVB said...

OH Jess! My heart hurts when I think of that little man in pain!!!!!!!!!!! He's such a champ! and so are you for dealing with all of this so well!

I'll send my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery!

love you so much! Give Brody a hug from me!