This is old news since the election was three days ago, but, I want to blog how grateful I am that I live in the United States. One thing that was drilled into me as a child was to be patriotic, in fact, the only time I have seen my dad outright cry is when he was talking about the flag and what it meant to him. I was able on Tuesday to leave my beautiful, warm house and drive in my own car to the polling place. I proudly stated my name and address, and almost got emotional when the poll worker thanked me for coming out to vote. I then went to lunch with my devoted husband, and read a newspaper that isn't government controlled. In Saving Private Ryan (yes I know it's rated R) Private Ryan at the very end is kneeling in Arlington Cemetery at the gravestone and looks up at his wife and says, "tell me I've lived a good life, tell me I'm a good man" that's how I feel about living in the United States.
When I went to Washington D.C. to pick up Alyson in May, my favorite day was when we went to Arlington. I saw thousands of graves of brave soldiers, men and women who fought to preserve the freedoms that I enjoy every day. I was able to see the changing of the guard and a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown solider. That tomb is guarded 365 days a year 24 hours a day by guards. It was very sobering. I hope to someday (when I win the powerball) take my whole family out to D.C. to Arlington. It made me so proud to be a citizen of the United States that day. I get made fun of at parades because it doesn't matter if it's the Plain City 4th of July parade, or any other parade, when the flag goes by I proudly stand up as soon as I can see it, put my hand over my heart, and cry. I am so grateful for my American heritage and the freedoms that I am blessed with.
1 comment:
We are very blessed, aren't we. You are so sweet! It is such a neat thing that we can vote and have a part in the political process.
Post a Comment