Thursday, September 11, 2008

Push 'em out, Shove 'em out, Way out


Brody's crib and bedding is ready for him, wait it has been for 2 months. After much searching I finally decided on this Pottery Barn Chase crib set and had his little initials monogrammed. If I could sew (sorry Grandma Cook), I would've just made my own set, but alas, I can't even thread my sewing machine.
Carol Burnett described labor pains as taking your bottom lip and pulling it up over your head. So, who in their right mind would want to have a natural childbirth?!? It it so few and far between that I ever take care of a patient who labors without anesthetics. What is amazing to me though, is those women who do go natural normally do not fit the profile of who you would think would have a natural childbirth. I don't believe that having an epidural will hurt the baby, cause autism, or has any detrimental effect on the child...my reasons for wanting to go natural are completely selfish. That's right selfish. I want to see for myself how much I can push my body and how strong I really am. I have been told by women who have had a natural birth that you reach a point, a really dark scary point where you think you will either really die, or have a child. Once you "give into the pain" and accept it, your labor progresses so quickly and before you know it, you have a baby. Frankly, if I went into labor right now, I would request an epidural right away with how crappy I feel. But, hopefully within the next day or so I can get healthy enough where I can feel like I can attempt a natural childbirth.

1 comment:

The White's said...

Yes it is a dark scary point and you think you should die, but then you have your baby. But I should not cry because mine was only 4lbs 11oz. Good Luck, you can do it.